MERCANTILE ROWING CLUB, MELBOURNE
May 2020 news
- Great news – limited return to rowing Sat 16th May
- New website and member management system due 1st Juy
- Dredging update
- Happy 90th James and Garth
- 1924 Olympic crew documentary – changed screening time
- Amanda Bateman, a Lifeline Community Custodian
- Dredging news
- So what our rowers doing?
- Ben Dodwell elected to the RA Board
- Congratulations Noel Donaldson and Doug Donoghue
- Peppercorn Lawn blocked off until March 2021
- Mike McKay takes charge
- Thank you Paul McGann
- From the vaults – Charlie Cunningham, what a character!
April 2020 news
- ANZAC Day Commemoration 2020
- Training COVID style
- Updated time for 1924 Olympic documentary
- 2020 ANZAC Rowing Challenge
- Vale Tom Jack and Stan Bulmer
- Latest on the lockdown – 21 April
- Jess Morrison’s training advice in lockdown
- Latest on lockdown – 19 April
- Vacant Committee position
- Boat and equipment update
- 1924 Rowing Olympic Documentary
- Interstate Indoor Rowing Regatta
- Personal accident insurance
- RV Safety plan
- Extraordinary Australians – Jess Morrison
- Senior high performance coach progress
- All events are now cancelled.
- World Junior-Under 23-Senior Championships – the event not yet cancelled
- Interstate Championships late 2020?
- Lock down in progress
- Club financials
- Sean and Bibi Colgan make a generous donation
- Club Foundation progress report
- From the vault – 1968 lightweight eight
Mercantile has a proud history of rowing on the Yarra River and beyond. The club was founded in 1880 by a group of enthusiastic business and sports minded members with the aim to increase the health and recreation of Melbourne’s society via the noble sport of rowing.
From these idealistic beginnings, we have seen the club successfully produce members, who reflect the club’s current day beliefs:
- Excellence and service to the sport of rowing
- Physical and mental health
- Respect for yourself, club members, crew members and competitors
Mercantile has consistently produced members who are leaders in sport, in administration, coaching and athletic performance. Our members have provided representative service to Australia on the World and Olympic stage, including numerous World and Olympic champions. We boast three Thomas Keller medallists, awarded for an outstanding international rowing career (more than any other club in the world); and a whole host of Order of Australia Medallists for services to the sport of rowing. Our membership is broad, inclusive and long lasting.
Our membership base includes existing active members with a 80-year club membership history, to recent new members from school and masters levels.
If you love rowing and the ideals produced from a crisp catch, clean finish and steady roll forward, then Mercantile Rowing Club is the place to be. At Mercantile, as in life, “Every stroke we take, we take a stroke to win”.